And what a space. The seats beg you to recline, potted plants soften
the otherwise straight lines, and the conversations are quieter than other
venues I’ve visited tonight. There’s a woman singing a Brazilian tune in the
far corner, she reminds me or Nora Jones and she’s accompanied by a man playing
an acoustic guitar – they’re bathed in soft light which changes colours, making
me think of the crayons I loved as a child, and the staff is somehow invisible,
yet everywhere.
This has a softer, more alluring energy than other places I have gone
to write. I give the most credit to the performers – their music is
transporting me.
I’m indulging on a honeycomb ice cream sundae. It’s so decadent that
I’m taking breaks between teaspoons. I’m sipping on a Yarra Valley sav blanc
and I’m well and truly settling in.
This is an ideal place for those writing a social scene, and a
fantastic place for those wishing to anchor a date scene somewhere tangible. My
imagination is captured, my senses ensnared. I know I’ll write about this
place; I’ll bring my characters here and they’ll love it as much as I do.
Maybe it’s the wine, or the soft lighting – maybe it’s the plucks on the
guitar strings sinking alongside my heartbeat, but I could curl up on the
couch, buried amongst cushions which look like recycled grain sacks, and doze.
If Mr. Hive Kitchen & Bar is this intimate on a Friday night, then
I would recommend coming here anytime, and sinking into the atmosphere. You’ll
write some great stuff here, and if your enjoyment eclipses your writing
discipline, it’s still a win. Come here when there’s live music and when it’s
dark enough to have a flickering tealight on your table. Or come here during
the day and tell me what it’s like, unless I’ve already come back to experience
it for myself.
That said, I’m going to get started on the whole point of this night:
I’m going to write my book. Even though I’m ready to slip into a honeycomb-wine
coma.
Click here to learn more about the venue.
Click here to learn more about the venue.

No comments:
Post a Comment